Adding a new pullet?

DraftXJumper

Songster
6 Years
May 27, 2017
Wisconsin
We are first time chicken owners, and currently have four, four-week-old pullets. They are doing fabulously, and I am thinking about adding another pullet of the same age from a nearby farm. We got our original girls from an online hatchery, so they have been very healthy. What steps would I need to take to ensure this new chick is healthy? Other than taking a very close look when I go to pick it up, how long, if at all, wouldI need to keep it separate from the other girls? If it's going to be a huge pain in the butt, I likely won't go ahead with it. I don't want to put my girls in danger, but I don't want to have to segregate one poor little girl for weeks on end.

We are first time chicken owners, and currently have four, four-week-old pullets. They are doing fabulously, and I am thinking about adding another pullet of the same age from a nearby farm. We got our original girls from an online hatchery, so they have been very healthy. What steps would I need to take to ensure this new chick is healthy? Other than taking a very close look when I go to pick it up, how long, if at all, wouldI need to keep it separate from the other girls? If it's going to be a huge pain in the butt, I likely won't go ahead with it. I don't want to put my girls in danger, but I don't want to have to segregate one poor little girl for weeks on end.
keep that chick away from your stock and any areas your stock graze on for at least a week, check it good for mites or lice under feathers and around vent. If it is all good, introduce it, if there is trouble, put them so they can see each other for a few days then let them work it out. A lot of trouble for one more chick.

That is very true. We are only allowed 5 hens in town, so I just wanted one more to round out my flock :) Maybe I'll find someone to split a chick order next spring and just get one or two (pretty sure the police won't be coming around counting hens...what's one extra?).

Back
Top Bottom