Adding a Rabbit to my Chicken flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tiffany1804, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Tiffany1804

Tiffany1804 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2011
    I just recently bought a new Hen and the place I got her from had Flemish Giant Rabbits in with the chickens. There were probably 20 rabbits in this giant barn/coop. One of his rabbits just had babies and now they are ready for new homes. I have ALWAYS wanted a rabbit so now my question is can I put it in with the chickens? I have 6 Hens right now trying to get rid of 1 of them. I already have a rabbit hutch that I had been using to keep new Hens in at nite. We have 1/2 an acre that has a 4 foot privacy fence around it that's where the chickens free range. I want to let the rabbit free range with them then go in the hutch inside the chicken run at night. Is this a bad idea? The rabbit has been around chickens so I know the noise won't bother her. Any advice? I want to get a rabbit this weekend if hubby gives the go ahead. He's already said I'm going to overwhelm myself with animals, in the next year I want to get 2 small goats and 1 pop belly pig. But whats 1 rabbit? They aren't to much work and I have always wanted one. My parents wouldn't allow anything but a dog when I was growing up even though I grew up in the sticks so now I'm finally able to have my mini farm [​IMG]

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I myself would not mix the 2 in the coop. I don't like the idea of rabbit urine where I am trying to keep it dry.
    If you have a hutch in the run and the urine would not be an issue for you I say go for it.
    I had rabbits for years and they live a LONG time. My oldest was 16 when he passed away. The poo and urine can be an issue.
    If you do choose to get a bunny I can let you know what I learned mostly the hard way. Little tips and tricks that may save you some trouble along the way.

3. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    not sure but i came across this thread today because i got a flemish mix at the fair and she is now in a cage in the run and i am hopeing to let her live with the chickens. so far the chickens fear her. i had a pure breed flemish buck who was awesome but he did get territorial too. they are a awesome breed for sure. i just hope the girls will share their space with her. but good luck with it all and if you do get one maybe we can keep each other up to date on how they are doing with the chickens and maybe we will each learn something [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by