Adding a Roo and Chicken Stock - Weird Neighbors

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by HenoftheWoods, Jun 8, 2011.

1. HenoftheWoods

HenoftheWoods Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    Ortonville, MI
    Hi all!! Finallly got the coop done and the run should be covered this weekend. I caved and we have 4 red? pullets and 4 BLS from TSC they are very friendly the "Jezzies"- BSL are more so than the "Charlottes" the reds. We couldn't tell them apart at first so the reds became Charlottes and the BLS became Jezabels. They are now about 8 wee.ks old Moved them to the coop this past weekend. Question-- both neighbors WANT me to have a Rooster! ! They used to have chickens and miss the crowing!![​IMG] I am a first time chicken owner and would love a cool sexy roo but not to full of himself. Suggestions... Love the sight.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How wonderful! I love to hear mine crow, and to watch them. Check out the BSA section here, and, cautiously, Craigislist. You might want to wait a month or two, to get one the same age/size and because by then you will at least have an idea how well behaved he will be. Or, find one about the same age now, and cross your fingers. I think most roos are civilized, and the nasty ones are the exception. There are usually some free or very cheap roos in the BSA here -- a roo shouldn't be hard to find.

A flock wouldn't feel like a flock to me without a roo or two. Mine are presently guarding the half grown chicks that their broody/mama no longer mothers. And they are so beautiful. Lots of advantages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by