Adding a Roo to a flock of hens

torbaynewfs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
Owego, NY
Hi! I have about 21 henas of various breeds, but no Rooster. Someone has contacted me about taking a displaced Barred Rock Roo that was left in a temp. foster home after flooding. They need him to leave soon. I have no problem taking him, since we don;t already have one, but will my girls adapt just fine? He is about 14 months and my hens range from 2 years to 10 months. Thanks!

I would quarantine him for at least a month before introducing him to the rest of your flock. You may want to put him where the other can see him so they can get used to him being around. Also, when you do introduce him there may be some squabbling as he will be a newcomer and the pecking order will have to be re-established. He may get along with some of the girls and not with others. I think the best way to introduce him to the flock is to either put him in the coop at night when the others have gone to roost or when they are free ranging if you free range them. I have done it both ways. When they free range they can get away if they need to. Good luck...

Do make sure you quarantine him first... so that if he is sick he doesn't infect your flock... keep him completely separate for a while... 3 or 4 weeks... watch him.. maybe worm him, if he hasn't been wormed.... maybe give him some antibiotics if he shows any signs of illness at all... watch his poop, etc.. then, after a few weeks.. then, put him in a cage in with the others, inside the coop or run (run in the daytime/coop at night).... with the food next to his cage... so they can eat "together" and yet not together for a few days or so... his food inside the cage against the side.. with the flock food on the outside against his cage... so they eat head to head.
Then maybe introduce him (loose) into the coop at night.... just be sure he's healthy first.
Search here on BYC "quarantine new birds" and see what the consensus is on how long and all.

Oh, and make sure he's not aggressive (mean) before you take him... you do not want an aggressive (towards people) rooster.

Best of luck... My Barred Rock rooster was the best.

Thanks! Sounds great! I have met him and he seems very docile. I am taking him to my vet tomorrow for a check up. He has been quarantined since Sept when the flood happened......just him and one hen that came with him, but the foster home is keeping her. I hope all works out! He seems to be really great! Just hope my girls will think so!!

You guys do realize that torbaynewfs said he is 14 months, don`t you? While I certainly agree that a quarrentine is in order to ensure good health, this guy is a mature cock and as such will not be a weakling. he will immediately take charge of ALL the girls and will dominate from the first intro. No need to intro him gradually as if he was some weakling or a new hen. After the quarrentine, just put him in there in broad daylight and he will put on a show that will make you not only proud, but glad you got him. A 14 month old cock is a MAN.......Pop

Back
Top Bottom