Adding a roo to your flock...WITH PICS

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
For those of you who don't know, my baby roo got killed by a black snake at 5 weeks old. After he died I bought a 1 year old roo and have had him separated from my 23 girls for 9 weeks now. One of my girls is blind and has her own house and small run so when the roo (Colonel Bok Bok) is with the other girls he can't get to her.

Today I tried some supervised visitation. The girls are 14 weeks old today. It went ok. Those at the bottom of the pecking order didn't go near him but the girls at the top tried to pick on him. They lost of course.

At the end it started to rain so we had to put him back to his side of the yard. He didn't like that.

Here's some pictures of the visitation:

What's goin on?
whatareyoudoin.jpg

Being somewhat civil (he's on the far right):
colonelandgirls.jpg

I need to hear some good stories of mixing the sexes!

Last edited:
Ragnor,my barrock roo loves the hunnys!The hens are chx,pullets and 2-3 yr old hens and he gets along with them all.Granted hes only six months old,he is the best roo ive ever owned!
smile.png

When I was a little kid I bought a RIR rooster for my 6 grown RIR hens. Not knowing any better, I just plopped him down in the pen with the girls. Poor thing! The hens had him so terrified he didn't come down from the perches for a month. I had to feed him by hand and give him water from a mug.

-Anne

Am I doing the right thing? I'm a first time chicken momma and I have no clue how to do this.

I love him!!! He is so cute. That comb is great!
lol.png

You're doing it the best way... Give him "visitation rights" so he can slowly learn how to act towards the new "hunnies".
gig.gif
Slowly but surely, everyone will start to get along and establish a pecking order.
Do you have a way of putting him in the run in a chicken tractor? Or in his own enclosed area inside? That would probably be the best. I'd think that every time you remove him and take him to his side of the yard, he comes back and has to re-establish his "author-atah" (South Park
lol.png
).

I LOVE that first picture! "Mom... Help me! These women are whack!"
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom