Adding a roof vent - Anyone else "revamping" their coop this Spring?

chuckzoo

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
We had an unsually cold winter for Alabama and I had to cover my eve vents with canvas cloth to keep the chickens warmer. It went down to around 15F which is very cold for us - my chickens are not acclaimated to those temperatures.

Well having done what I could to close off some of the vents I am now going to make some changes to my coop by adding at nice roof vent.

I would like to see what changes others are making so we can all learn from each other.

Here's the pictures showing the roof vent I am going to add.

28681_chickens_-_coop_with_vented_roof.jpg

I have no pics or anything of what I plan on doing for the new coops, but I am certainly changing everything about the inbarn coop I currently have. This winter I had to work through several issues like moisture and keeping heat in etc...things I really do not wan to go through again next winter, we got tons of snow and it was colder than normal for the majority of the time. Right now during the thaw we are seeing a lot of issues with the melting snow too, and while the coop is still dry half my barn is flooded and just adds too much worry to my days as I wonder if my coop will flood. So I am planning on a raised coop with plenty of ventilation that I can open and close and some solar lights. something easier to clean and of course I will be insulating it too. my chickens did pretty good this winter even though we reached -40C for several weeks. However this new construction will be nicer and better for all of us :) and it will give me my whole barn back so I can finish it, and add stalls for other animals I want to get hopefully throughout this summer/fall.

I also will be building an exact replica of that coop for meaties :)

Ema

I need to put down sand in our big run this spring. Not looking forward to that job.

I added 2 yards of sand to the run and I am very happy with it. No more muddy eggs and no more smelly run.

I also added a new chicken run door and fenced in two rotational chicken pastures to keep the chicken in our yard and out of the flower beds.

You can see the upgrades on my BYC page.

well its not a revamp but more of an out with the old and in with the new. gonna build a new coop that will either be 8x8x7 or 8x15x7 and 1.5 ft off the ground with a new enclosed run that will be 10x14x7. had to remodle bc my loving wife talked me into buying 19 new chicks(
roll.png
lol.png
) to add to our existing flock of 6 for which our small coop/run is plenty big enough until the "new" family members join them from the brooder lol

Yep, I'm doing some remodeling to my coop too. I have a 16x16 coop and I'm really thinking of tearing it down and starting over. I'm really not looking forward to it, but I guess its one of those things you just gotta do!!!! lol
I was thinking of doing some roof vents like the ones you are going to use too.
Hope all goes well!!!!

Quote:
I am with you on this one, our needs and plans for chickens this year changed dramatically....so, the old coop is only gonna be here long enough to move everybody into the new coop. Maybe someone else can use it fr a first coop though, I may try to list it and see what I can get for it, to help my chicken fund of course!

Back
Top Bottom