adding a rooster to a small flock of chickens and guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Shannon 81, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Shannon 81

Shannon 81 New Egg

Feb 5, 2014
    Hi. I have three hens and two guineas. I'm unsure of the sex of my guineas. I would like to introduce a rooster to the flock but am unsure of how to do so. I have read conflicting threads. My chickens and guineas get along great, with the exception of one hen who was added later they all were raised together. My guineas are 7 months old. At this time they are in a large coop with a run and let outside weather permitting. They will not free range until spring. Any suggestions?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

1. Unless it is a very gentle rooster, or those are standard size hens and you are getting a bantam rooster, you are going to have hens with naked backs. I have a bunch of hens for my mostly good (but NOT great) rooster, and he has messed up the backs of two of my hens just a little.

2. I have no idea how the rooster would be with guineas, but I would want to introduce him after he has been quarantined. Also, the more space he has when you put him in, the better. So, depending on your set-up, you might want to wait until spring.

3. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    Michigan
    My guineas and roosters got along for the most part. The guineas did kill my rooster Red Golden pheasant, however.

4. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    My guineas got along fine with my roos & my hens. They did insist on being at the top of the pecking order though. The worst I ever had was some yanked feathers once in a while when a guinea woulld remind a roo of his place & the roo would turn & run. The only ones above my guineas in the pecking order are the turkeys. Everyone gives them way because of their size. I keep chickens, turkeys & guineas in the same pen withh no problems.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by