Adding a Rooster to Mature Hens

Nutcase

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Australia
My Coop
My Coop
I have 4 hens and was thinking of introducing a young rooster to them at some point. They are sex links and just over 3 yrs old. They are going to be transferred to a new place and may need some protection from predators. Is this feasible? Or will the hens beat him up? I'm a little dubious about the idea but thought I'd get other opinions. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

My experience with adding a young roo to older hens was that the roo became hen-pecked. Poor guy stopped crowing within weeks and was obviously quite submissive to the old biddies. Maybe being transferred to a new place would be different though...?

My experience with adding a young roo to older hens was that the roo became hen-pecked. Poor guy stopped crowing within weeks and was obviously quite submissive to the old biddies. Maybe being transferred to a new place would be different though...?

Yes, I thought of that because I'm assuming that the hens will be thrown off balance after a transfer - the car ride and new coop and everything - and therefore less assertive/confident. Am I right in thinking this way?

Yes, I thought of that because I'm assuming that the hens will be thrown off balance after a transfer - the car ride and new coop and everything - and therefore less assertive/confident. Am I right in thinking this way?

Maybe have the roo there first if you can so he can be confident and the ladies off balance? May sway the odds in his favor at least.

Never actually thought of that! It's a great idea. My hens are being given to someone else but I will still be involved with them and seeing them often. Do you think it'll make them accept him?

idunno.gif
Better chance probably.

Regardless, he'll probably get his butt kicked at first. It will depend on how assertive the rooster is and how the hens accept his advances. Older hens usually make a young guy work for his acceptance, why should they just take for granted this young guy knows what he's doing and is worthy of their attention? The need to make him prove his place and show them he's worthy of leading them and mating with them. But eventually he'll man up.

I have just introduced a hand-raised Leghorn/Buff Orpington mix rooster to my flock of 6 hens (3 Rhode Reds,a Barred Rock, an Easter Egger and a Leghorn). All of these chickens were also hand raised and are very friendly. So far they seem to be responding quite well to him. The Barred Rock seems to really like him (she must have been lonely) , the Reds and the EE are fine with him also. However I find my Leghorn hen avoiding him at all costs. Where ever the roo is in the run, she moves to the other side. I am not quite sure if she is afraid of him or just does not want to be dominated by him. I am hoping she warms up to him in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom