Adding a rooster to my flock ... ?

I really do love your coop and especially the cupolas and weather vanes on it and the building in the back. I had purchased a weather vane with plans of building a cupola on top of my coop and placing the weather vane on it, but as my luck would have it, I was in a time crunch to get the tin on my coop. My DH and DS were doing this part for me and of course it was raining. Soooooo, it was either get my coop roofed without the cupola or not get it roofed at all. :idunno I thought at the time that I might possibly be able to add it later, with help of course. Later never came. :lau I love my cupola-less coop!

I really do love your coop and especially the cupolas and weather vanes on it and the building in the back. I had purchased a weather vane with plans of building a cupola on top of my coop and placing the weather vane on it, but as my luck would have it, I was in a time crunch to get the tin on my coop. My DH and DS were doing this part for me and of course it was raining. Soooooo, it was either get my coop roofed without the cupola or not get it roofed at all. :idunno I thought at the time that I might possibly be able to add it later, with help of course. Later never came. :lau I love my cupola-less coop!

Mine is actually not a functioning Cupola, although I wish that it were! I am trying to figure out a way to use it for ventilation and not just decoration.

It would appear that you already have a Ridge Vent, along the peak of the roof. These are very effective at venting, especially with Vented Sofits under the eaves.
In any event a Cupola acts as a gathering point for rising hot air and funnels it out. Seal up the outside, if not already done, and as Aart said, put a Hole in the Roof...JJ

View attachment 1845582 View attachment 1845583 View attachment 1845584

Is a 15 month old is not a mature rooster yet? He’s coming from a flock of hens and another rooster (he’s been fighting with the other rooster).

Regarding confined .... I have a predator proofed 7’x18’ enclosed run with natural/tree branch roosts, as well as a set of stairs for my bigger girls to get up to them (). Above part of it is my enclosed 7x6 coop (Pic below). I now have a fenced area around the coop, roughly 60x40 with some bushes to go under. I lock them in around 7pm and let them out whenever I get up and outside. I have not been leaving them out all day due to the potential risk from hawks. This was my reasoning for the rooster. I wanted to be able to leave them out all day (my husband works from home, so he’s in and out all day to help deter fox)
Nice set up, I’ve been reading your posts and I think you’re not going to be satisfied until you try adding a roo. The 15 month old sounds like he may be a good fit. If it’s not working out in a few weeks re-home him.

Nice set up, I’ve been reading your posts and I think you’re not going to be satisfied until you try adding a roo. The 15 month old sounds like he may be a good fit. If it’s not working out in a few weeks re-home him.

It was a hard decision, but I decided against getting him. I have complete harmony in my flock right now, I am comfortable leaving for a long weekend and not come home to Issues. But that could change

View attachment 1845582 View attachment 1845583 View attachment 1845584

Is a 15 month old is not a mature rooster yet? He’s coming from a flock of hens and another rooster (he’s been fighting with the other rooster).

Regarding confined .... I have a predator proofed 7’x18’ enclosed run with natural/tree branch roosts, as well as a set of stairs for my bigger girls to get up to them (). Above part of it is my enclosed 7x6 coop (Pic below). I now have a fenced area around the coop, roughly 60x40 with some bushes to go under. I lock them in around 7pm and let them out whenever I get up and outside. I have not been leaving them out all day due to the potential risk from hawks. This was my reasoning for the rooster. I wanted to be able to leave them out all day (my husband works from home, so he’s in and out all day to help deter fox)
Looks to me like you have a great setup as long as they are locked up at night!

Back
Top Bottom