Adding a rooster

AuntKK

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
I have three hens (2 Black Australorps and 1 Barred Rock)...I recently took in a Silkie Roo...he is about the same age as my hens...just under a year old. My Australorps are awful to him...pecking him forcing him into a corner not letting him near food or water. I have removed him for his safety and he is in a smaller coop right next to the girls. Should I put him back in with the girls? I’m planning on rehoming the Australorps as I’m not a big fan...I want to keep my Barred Rock and add in some Silkie hens...also getting Guinea keets at the end of May...any suggestions on how to make this menagerie work? I’m fairly new to this chicken life...but loving it!

Leaving him in an enclosure where the girls can see but not hurt him for at least a week is a good idea. Then put him in the coop at night when everyone is sleeping. There will be some fights for a few days, and it is unnerving, but it is a natural part of chickens finding their place in the pecking order. If it looks like they are going to severely injure him or they aren't letting up after a few days, then look to other options.

Chicken behavior is often due to space issues. And not all chickens work together. What are the measurements of your coop/run? How is it set up? Often times I see runs that are just an open rectangle, where as a bird in any part of the run, can see any other bird all of the time. This is hard on chicken society and boring to chickens.

Add clutter, old ladder, chairs roosts in the corner. Add mini walls out of small pieces of plywood or big pieces of cardboard. Lean pallets up against the walls, put pallets up on cement blocks. Totes or cardboard boxes on their side. All of this will make use of more useable space, add shade, and allow the line of sight to be broken up.

Size of birds really matter, with larger birds needing more space and will take that space at the expense of smaller birds. People often think that if they get birds young, and raise them together, that will make a difference, but it doesn't. Birds being raised together has very little influence on their ability to get along.

I am not experienced with Gkeets, but I think if you had problems with the BA, and the smaller birds, you are going to have problems with this too.

I would suggest, keeping him separate until you remove the BA, and add the new silkies and him all at once. I would not get the G. Keets unless you have a very big coop/run, as in not a traditional back yard.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom