Adding a Silkie as a broody question

RoosterThigh

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Indiana
Hello, this is my 1st question of I'm sure many. I haven't gotten my chicks yet, I'm hoping today or tomorrow to get Black Australorps. I know they are not very broody and so I was thinking about adding a silkie. My question is, can I add a Silkie in with Black Australorps as they are a lot smaller and is 1 enough since they can hang with them or do I need to get 2 Silkies? They will be free ranging during the day and in the coop at night. Will Silkies always be broody when you introduce eggs to them?

That's it for now....

Hello, this is my 1st question of I'm sure many. I haven't gotten my chicks yet, I'm hoping today or tomorrow to get Black Australorps. I know they are not very broody and so I was thinking about adding a silkie. My question is, can I add a Silkie in with Black Australorps as they are a lot smaller and is 1 enough since they can hang with them or do I need to get 2 Silkies? They will be free ranging during the day and in the coop at night. Will Silkies always be broody when you introduce eggs to them?

That's it for now....
Due to the bossy nature of our other breeds (excluding our silkie) we got them younger than the silky. We were told (and it's worked for us) that if you add a silky with some 8 week old chicks (which are old enough to start to be out side) the silky can act rather mothering. Ours was 16 weeks (the silky) and our two 8 week old isa browns and SLA were quite well with her. She sat with them for a few days in the box at night. As for being 'broody' she probably won't be broody until at least 30 weeks and I wouldn't give her super young babies or eggs until she is genuinely broody, or you risk having the silkly peck at the babies. They don't peck unless she's properly broody or the babies are a bit older. Silkies, as a breed, tend to be rather broody and very frequent. I wouldn't give her eggs until she's broody herself.

Thanks AussieHens! I went to order a Silkie, still don't know if 1 is enough or if I should get 2 of 'em. But, most are sold out and the ones that aren't I need a mimium order of around 15 and I don't need 15 chicks. I was probably going to get 4 Australorp hens, a rooster and 1 or 2 Silkies.
smile.png

Thanks AussieHens! I went to order a Silkie, still don't know if 1 is enough or if I should get 2 of 'em. But, most are sold out and the ones that aren't I need a mimium order of around 15 and I don't need 15 chicks. I was probably going to get 4 Australorp hens, a rooster and 1 or 2 Silkies.
smile.png
1 may be enough as I heard if you get two they tend to stick to each other and away from the flock. Just get one for now and buy another later. As for a rooster? You planning to breed?

I am going to get a Black Australorp rooster and breed them and needed a silkie as mother. I don't plan on breeding a lot, just every once in a while. I'm going to try and use the Australorp for it's dual purpose use. I don't know how well that will go, I'm hoping it doesn't get to me too much.

Back
Top Bottom