Adding a silkie pullet to small flock of pullets?

shananafish

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
I am interested in buying a silkie pullet to add to my flock of 4 pullets.

I currently have 3 standard pullets (australorp, wyandotte, and gold sex-link) that are 2.5 months old and 1 porcelain silkie pullet (I think!) that is 3.5-4 months old.

I had 3 silkie chicks and two started crowing so I had to give them away. I made the mistake of falling in love with those boys and was really sad to give them up. Also, they had formed a click with with my other silkie and now she seems a bit at a loss-- she doesn't quite fit in or keep up with the standard birds.

So now I have the urge to get another silkie pullet-- is that a terrible idea? If not, would it be good to buy and older pullet-- say 5 months or so-- to make her less of a target?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

While I've heard both sides of the debate that chicken can't taste, you could always spray your silkie with bitter apple and introduce her at night while the others are sleeping. They will attack, but if they don't like how she 'tastes' it may not be so bad.

You could also put put her in a pen where she is near the others and they can get used to seeing her...then after a while, see above and follow that
smile.png

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try a visual introduction first, like you suggest, separating them but allowing them to see each other. Putting the new one in the coop at night makes sense, but I would be nervous about the morning! I would have to wake up at dawn to monitor them I guess!

Back
Top Bottom