Adding a wild chicken to my coop?

KevinHicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 22, 2012
I have a black chicken that has been living on my property for about 6 months. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it and it just laid an egg in my flower garden the other day. However, I want to put it with my other 2. It has eaten lettuce through their fencing, bedded in their straw before I added it to the coop, and they have even pecked at each other from time to time. Should I put them together? or play it safe?

You can put it in with your chickens since there is no point in quarantining the chicken in this situation. They have already been in the same area fora while now, and if the wild chicken had an infectious disease, she probably would have passed it on to your chickens by now. However, be sure to check for lice or mites. It's nice that you'll give them a home!
Good Luck!

thanks a lot. That's what made sense to me too. I will check for the lice and mice and then cross my fingers.

Ok, I have added the wild black chicken to my coop with the two plymouth rock chickens. I guess that it is to be expected that the black one is scared to death, but what worries me is that she seems to be getting picked on by the two veteran chicks. Do you think this new relationship will work?

Ok, I have added the wild black chicken to my coop with the two plymouth rock chickens. I guess that it is to be expected that the black one is scared to death, but what worries me is that she seems to be getting picked on by the two veteran chicks. Do you think this new relationship will work?

Make sure the new addition has space to hide and get away from your established flock, especially since she is smaller. Give them a few weeks of adjustment and they should be okay. Be on the lookout for blood drawn, and if that happens separate the black one behind wire so your older hens can still see her but not get to her.

Thanks, she can fly, so I put high perches in the coop...she can fly and get away when needed.

Back
Top Bottom