Adding adult duck to young mixed flock

Auma

Chirping
Jul 18, 2022
Hi 👋
Does anyone have tips on adding an adult female duck our mixed coop. Right now I have four 14 week old chickens and a cayuga the same age. We used to have a khaki with our cayuga but we soon found he was a drake and he found a new home. We had hoped our duck would be fine as she stays with the chickens, and for the most part i think she is but she doesn't like to jump in her pool anymore and she looks so lost when the chickens run off without her. Should I be worried about adding a 1-2 year old duck in with my younger birds? Best ways to go about it? All help and feedback is appreciated!

I wouldn't be worried about adding a new female duck into the flock. My older females are often more accepting than the younger ones. It may take some time for them to accept each other. Usually you want to do the method where they can see each other but not touch. I also seperate them in the coop with a dog crate. Often adding two is easier because they have someone else while they are seperated. Your duck will definitely be happier with a friend.

I wouldn't be worried about adding a new female duck into the flock. My older females are often more accepting than the younger ones. It may take some time for them to accept each other. Usually you want to do the method where they can see each other but not touch. I also seperate them in the coop with a dog crate. Often adding two is easier because they have someone else while they are seperated. Your duck will definitely be happier with a friend.
Do you quarantine when you get new birds and if so for how long? I've read mixed things on ducks. And I'm torn between adding one or two, I don't want the new one to be lonely at first but my family isn't huge on duck eggs so we will already have to many lol the ducks are mostly for bug control and my amusement haha Also how long would you keep them separated in the coop? This is all very new so thank you! 😊

Totally agree! I added an adult female to my mixed flock last year. Took about 2 weeks for her to be fully enveloped into the duck squad, but there was no violence or anything (like you see with chickens).

Totally agree! I added an adult female to my mixed flock last year. Took about 2 weeks for her to be fully enveloped into the duck squad, but there was no violence or anything (like you see with chickens).
Did the chickens leave the duck alone? They all share a coop and I think I may have a rooster as well, but as of now everyone gets along

For quarantining, most people recommend 1 month. That can be a bit difficult to do properly. You have to change clothes and there is a recommended distance they need to be. I don't remember the distance though. Ducks are less likely to get sick and spread diseases to each other. The chickens would be my biggest worry.

If you don't worry about quarantine, I have done it as little as 1 week of integration. Sometimes it takes even longer. It really depends on both ducks. Some integrate seamlessly, others take more time.

For quarantining, most people recommend 1 month. That can be a bit difficult to do properly. You have to change clothes and there is a recommended distance they need to be. I don't remember the distance though. Ducks are less likely to get sick and spread diseases to each other. The chickens would be my biggest worry.

If you don't worry about quarantine, I have done it as little as 1 week of integration. Sometimes it takes even longer. It really depends on both ducks. Some integrate seamlessly, others take more time.
Quarantine is DEF very difficult for the average keeper. The distance, I think, is at least 100 yards.

Well I picked up the other duck today and my chickens were a little curious but so far they don't seem to concerned, My girl I had already was so excited when she heard another duck, and anytime the new girl sounds off my other goes running to check on her, she even hopped the pen to take a swim with the other 😀 So far so good! I will keep them separated at night for a little bit till I'm more confident in the chickens

Back
Top Bottom