Adding an older silkie to small flock of younger chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sonic Pug, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Songster

I am going to be acquiring one 12 week old silkie. I already have a small flock of 7 week old chicks. How is the best way to go about integrating them? Also, the chicks have been in their new coop and run for about a week now and they still have to be placed inside the henhouse at nightfall as they are not using the ramp by themselves. Thanks for your responses. [​IMG]

2. navasima

navasima Songster

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hey there Sonic Pug! The standard response here seems to be along these lines:

1) quarantine for at least 30 days

2) put the newbie in a seperate run/coop where they can all see and hear each other for a bit (avg. 2 weeks)

I've also seen to add the new bird at night with the possibility that everyone will get up in the AM and think they just didn't notice her before. [​IMG]

The consensus seems to be that size, not age is the major factor. It would likely be recommended that they get closer in size before integrating.

Another thread I read suggested that adding more than just one newbie at a time worked best - less chance of one new kid getting picked on.

Sorry to give you such ambiguity, but hope some of it helps!

3. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Songster

Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: