Adding Artificial Light- When Does It Show Results???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suzettex5, Dec 14, 2011.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    many of my young hens came of laying age just as the season turned and days got shorter, so I havent gotten any eggs from them. I have added an artficial light to their henhouse for 2 hours in the morning and 2 more hours at night. I just did this yesterday.

I am wondering how long it takes before they might start laying? I dont expect miracles and I understand it might not work at all, but, if it is going to work and reset their internal laying cycle, does anyone who has had sucess with hthis type of thing know about how long it takes to get them going?

Thanks

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    It's going to take a few weeks before you see too much, especially if your young hens do not appear very mature yet - meaning enlarged combs, behavior changes, and interest in the laying boxes. I neglected the lighting until after thanksgiving, and still had 5 young hens to start laying. All have except one to date.

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Darn! I figured it might take a few weeks, but was still hoping it wouldnt be that long for some reason...

My hens are Jersey Giants, hatched the week before Easter (in April) so they should be laying age by now, right???? They are not hatchery stock if that makes a difference and come from Indianna from a very reputable breeder. I was wondering if their lineage had anything to do with them not starting to lay at now 8 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by