Adding attached run to formex snap lock coop for first chicken house

Tessa's Mom

In the Brooder
May 21, 2017
MI
Hi all! Brand newbie here. Planning on getting some pullet chicks ( 2 EEs and 2 Dominiques) next spring, and want to be completely ready for them. I love the idea of the Formex Snap Lock coop (large model). It looks like it will be safe and easy to clean for 4 hens. It seems highly regarded by those that have had it. My husband and I will plan to build a base with wheels to make it mobile, but despite all my research, I have not been able to find examples of anyone affixing a run to this set-up. Any thoughts? We often head up to the woods to camp and fish (we're in the northern Midwest) in the spring and summer and will need a secure run that will be safe for a few days of us away. I'm not too concerned with cost, if that helps. I have a year to save for it! Does anyone have any experience with a Formex coop with an added run, or any other ideas? I'm not afraid of some do-it-yourself, but need a structure that will be easy to clean and low maintenance. Thanks so much!

It is very cute!
I'm not sure how one would attach a moveable run to it though.
Have you thought about maybe a large dog kennel type run one wheels, and placing the coop inside of the kennel type run?

It is very cute!
I'm not sure how one would attach a moveable run to it though.
Have you thought about maybe a large dog kennel type run one wheels, and placing the coop inside of the kennel type run?
I hadn't! That's a great idea. Do they make dog kennels big enough to put something like that in it, and still be able to get around it to clean and collect eggs? Also, are dog kennel-type runs usually safe? We have a dog, so I'm not so worried about coyote, but mostly raccoons and opposum.

I hadn't! That's a great idea. Do they make dog kennels big enough to put something like that in it, and still be able to get around it to clean and collect eggs? Also, are dog kennel-type runs usually safe? We have a dog, so I'm not so worried about coyote, but mostly raccoons and opposum.
Dog kennels are great at keeping out dogs.... but weasels can easily squeeze in through the large holes, and raccoons and possums can easily climb them.

(Just from me looking at them... I haven't ever used one)

Dog kennels are great at keeping out dogs.... but weasels can easily squeeze in through the large holes, and raccoons and possums can easily climb them.

(Just from me looking at them... I haven't ever used one)

Kennels are good as a base to build off of. They do need to be reinforced with smaller opening wire, aproned and roofed/covered for additional protection.

Hi all! Brand newbie here. Planning on getting some pullet chicks ( 2 EEs and 2 Dominiques) next spring, and want to be completely ready for them. I love the idea of the Formex Snap Lock coop (large model). It looks like it will be safe and easy to clean for 4 hens. It seems highly regarded by those that have had it. My husband and I will plan to build a base with wheels to make it mobile, but despite all my research, I have not been able to find examples of anyone affixing a run to this set-up. Any thoughts? We often head up to the woods to camp and fish (we're in the northern Midwest) in the spring and summer and will need a secure run that will be safe for a few days of us away. I'm not too concerned with cost, if that helps. I have a year to save for it! Does anyone have any experience with a Formex coop with an added run, or any other ideas? I'm not afraid of some do-it-yourself, but need a structure that will be easy to clean and low maintenance. Thanks so much!
Did you find a solution.. if so, please post

I’ve been doing the same research. If price isn’t an issue, go to Chicken Condos.com. You will find the Formex Snap and Lock coops with runs and wheels. Just on line the coop is about $850. The ones on Chicken Condo are around $1500 - $2000.

Back
Top Bottom