Adding baby ducklings to 2 female perkins

Duckiemom524

Chirping
Sep 26, 2018
I am wanting to add a couple more ducks to my 2 exsisting female perkin ducks who will be around 9 months old when I get them. I have read some about having to separate them but I mostly read it’s with the drakes. Both of mine are female. Will I have to separate them or with them being young and female will they be ok together once the duckling are old enough to be outside on own?

I've done this several times, and had it turn out both ways: Dead ducklings, or happily integrated flock members. My more accepting flock was larger (between ten and twenty) composed of Blue Swedish and Pekin of varying ages. My less accepting flock was small, young, and mostly Mallards (six) (The dead ducklings only happened once, but they did harass the ducklings more than the other flock, even if they did accept them.)

In both cases, the females, not the males, were the ones that gave the ducklings the most trouble.

You should keep them separate if they're not related. Then introduce slowly, same as with chickens. Have an area large enough that they can get away from each other, maybe some hiding spaces that the adult ducks can't access. Keep an eye on them. Ducks can be really vicious creatures to smaller birds.

I agree with @sylviethecochin on this... it really could go either way. Even if one of your ducks immediately accepts them it is possible the other duck would try and kill them. Take it slow with lots of supervision. Start with a see no touch setup, a really aggressive duck will try to attack through the bars and pace and charge at the fence between them, this will be obvious from the start. Once they settle down and everyone ignores each other you can try putting them together, supervised. I'd start with just one (whichever seems calmer) of the older ducks and the ducklings together first and see how it goes. You'll get there. Hopefully it is smooth and integration goes quickly.

My young ducks were the kids of my older ducks and the older ducks were awful to their "kids". As the kids grew and got as big as their parent's things changed and everyone got along. I had to separate them for a month or two and gradually, under supervision, let them mingle together.

Mine were not the kids, but it took me a month or two before the ducklings were integrated fully as well. This was after their almost 2 months in my house in a brooder.

Oh man. Not sure I can stand to see them be mean to the new ones. These are pets not for eggs or meat. But I enjoy them so much I wanted a few more maybe I will just keep my two instead of risking them being hurt or bullied

Hi! I'd suggest letting ducklings mature a little on their own before the introduction.

I've had hens kill ducklings. It can happen quickly and its an awful feeling! A few ducklings in a pet carrier near the girls can keep things safe and help you gauge reactions if you have your mind set.

Back
Top Bottom