1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding Bantams (4 Months) to Regular size flock (4 Months)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amast13, May 8, 2011.

1. amast13

amast13 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    I got 3 Bantam Sebrights that are the same age as my flock but obviously 1/4 the size. Should I try and stick them in there at night and see what happens? I also have the option for keeping them confined for a couple weeks then stick them in the grow out pen solo and add some new chicks in a couple months or so, setting Tuesday.
    I would think adding them to my current 4 months old crew would be best,

Thanks

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I wouldn't just stick them out there overnight unless you plan on being out there at first light to intervene if needed. Do your chickens free range? I think that's one of the best ways to allow new birds to mix and become accustomed to one another. Or wire off a section of your run and put a little shelter out there for them so they can get so know one another through the safety of a barrier first...

3. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I am about to do the same thing. My banties are going out in the coop tomorrow. I am going to do the same thing I have done with everyone else. They will go out in a dog cage for the first few days. When I let them out I watch close to make sure no one gets picked on. So far everyone has done good. I have introduced new chicks to my older chicks several times now. They free range so usually the big chicks would rather be outside. There is some "I'm the boss" when I feed. But so far no one has really gotten picked on. But I free range and my coop is fairly big. When I lock them in the first night I watch. As long as they all bed down quickly and the new chicks are comfortable then I leave them out for the night. If the new chicks seem uncomfortable I would lock them in the cage at night. I have not had to do that yet though. They usually go their own ways. Each group kind sticks together. Make sure to put out a couple feeders and waterers.

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I'm not very thoughtful about my introductions. I got 4 new chickens today. One being a new brown red ameraucana bantam pullet and I just threw her in there no problem. the only one I had problems with were the LF free rangers. I would put them in at night in a wired off section let them be in there for a night or two and then gradually let them out. because of the size difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by