Adding Banty rooster to my flock

wormy270

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Hey fellow chicken lovers. I have 7 full size hens right now. Some RI Reds and Buff Orpingtons with no rooster. Im thinking I would like to have a few Bantys. If I get a Banty rooster will he be trying to breed my full size hens? Or is it a bad idea to have a banty rooster with my girls. I would also like a few Banty hens. Thanks

Should be OK. I have standard hens and one standard rooster along with one banty rooster. The banty does not mate with my standards. I feel sad for him, but I do not want to get and banty hens.

I do have a girl that is product of a Bantam Cochin and a standard size EE, she is quite interesting. So yes, they will cross, but, I like a rooster with my girls and for the longest time I let them all live together in harmony.
One thing I would recommend is to place a second feeder and waterer. The big girls can get territorial with their food and this gives them a better chance. Just keep track of feather condition on your little ones, I did have one hen that wanted to murder my little scooter! (I gave her away
big_smile.png
)

We have a banty roo in our flock. He does mate with the standards. We have seen fertile eggs, but we have never tried to hatch any. He's a good little roo.

I have 3 bantam EE hens and 7 standard hens and 4 baby girls that will be standard size and have a bantam rooster and he does romance the standard girls just fine and I do have some fertilized eggs from the standard hen so he is getting things right. I think you should be fine it might take him a while to win the big girls over but they will like him and accept him mine do. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom