Adding Chick to the Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Joslyn, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Joslyn

Joslyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Utah
    I picked up 4 chicks on Saturday from our local feed store. Now that I'm home and thinking about it I know I would like to add 3 or 4 more. Can I put the new little ones in the brooder with the 4 I already have or do I need to set up another brooder?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    They will be fine. You can easily mix chicks up to about 2 weeks spread in age.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! If the chicks are from the same place and nearly the same age it should be fine. Make sure that you have plenty of space, and enough space in the feeder and waterer, so there's no stress there. I hope that you're using a red heat lamp too. Mary

4. Joslyn

Mar 2, 2015
    Utah
    Thank you! Now I have to decide if going to add a few more of the same breed or if I want to add some variety. :) All these tough decisions.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The younger chicks are the more accepting they are of stranger newbies. You can get away with adding chicks as long as the prior ones are under two weeks old and the new ones are no older than two weeks.

So it depends both on ages and age spread. Try to do it before any of them are older than two weeks.

6. Joslyn

Mar 2, 2015
    Utah
    Thanks everyone! I picked up 3 more chicks last night and added them to the brooder. I'm glad I didn't wait since one of my original chicks, Miss Priss, has already decided that she's in charge and spent the first few hours letting the new comers know it. The poor things were jumped on and pecked at so I spent a lot of time just monitoring. Everyone is settled in this morning and no one is being bullied.

7. emalin

emalin Out Of The Brooder

I have a very similar question. I hatched four Dominiques, who are now exactly one week old. I found a local, single Creme Legbar that we really want. It is a few days older. Is it ok to add a single chick, or should we get a few? My 4 yo daughter's only chicken-related requests are blue eggs and a white chicken. This is a white sport legbar, so perfect. (We're running out of coop space.) Thanks for any advice.

8. manychitlens

manychitlens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California

I don't know what a white sport legbar is, but I do have a cream legbar chick. She is MUCH smaller than my other chicks, so just something to be aware of. I would definitely add her if you want her, but because you are only adding 1 chick to a group of others, I might remove everyone and rearrange the brooder, then put the legbar in, then add the others one at a time. I'm not saying keep them out for a long time or anything, just as long as it takes to rearrange things, but it might confuse them enough that it won't be a big deal at all. :) All of that might not be necessary but I did something similar at that age range just to be safe and it worked fine. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by