Adding chickens to an existing flock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by harvey, Dec 15, 2008.

1. harvey

harvey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Hello,

I now have 4-10 month old RIR (1 male, 3 hens) and 2-8 weeks old Australorp (1 male, 1 hen). They have not been integrated yet. I have a few questions;

1. Is there any possibility that the 2 Roosters will co-exist without killing each other?

2. I have a chance to add a few 6-month old Plymouth Rock to my flock in Feb. Question is; Is it alright to add a single chicken to a flock or better to add a couple. Example: Add 2 Barred Rock as apposed to 1 Barred and 1 Buff Rock.

If that makes any sense to you, I'd appreciate your imput.

Thanks

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

My two roos that were raised together had to be separated. Even when the were free ranging, the alpha roo wanted to kick the other ones butt. ALL the time. I'm not sure about the other part of your question. I'm trying to figure out something similar to that myself. You should get some great input from the other BYC'ers.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    If you put them together soon enough they might get along, really all depends on the roosters. But doing it when they are younger will be better.

Yes you can add 1 of each to your flock. I would always add at least 2 (thats just me, I would feel bad just putting 1 single new chicken in there) But 1 of each is fine !!

Also make sure when you get the new chickens you keep them by themself for a little while to make sure they arent sick and dont have any diseases !! Most people keep them seprate for 30 days.

Good luck !!

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  5. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Great read Buff Hooligans !

I started with4 silkies, all from the same place and of course that was not enough! I found one at the state fair and just put her in with mine, I was VERY lucky.. looking back now I did not know any better!!! I picked up 3 more from a BYC friend in MD and they were fine and then two CMs and two ee's. I held those out for a few weeks, that was a month ago and everyone is fine. Everyone gets along but then again I have no roosters. Just please anyone adding chickens please listen to these folks, the heartache of losing a whole flock must be terrible!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by