adding chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mary24, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mary24

mary24 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    We have 3 leghorns and 1 golden comet that are 10 weeks old now in the bottom part of our barn and just starting free ranging yesterday (due to fencing) and we have a total of 26 more that are Ameraucanas, black Australorp, RIR and more golden comets that are 5 weeks old that needed more space from the building there in so we combined the 2 groups. I know that there is a pecking order that needs to be done but what I was wondering is if I open the door and let them all free range will that help them get along or speed the process up alittle or should I keep them all locked up to get used to each other before continuing free range? I checked in on them this morning and all seems well. No first aid needed so far. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Still new at this.

2. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    Wish I could be of some assistance but I am new at this too. I have several groups of different age chickens and have tried to integrate them buy placing them in the same coop. Like you said there is a pecking order that needs to be worked out. As far as I can tell, mine will side by side free range but then when it comes to roosting, they stay seperate. Go figure?

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Free ranging together would be just fine. Familiarity over time is a good thing. Being out will give them distractions and not lend it`self to conflict as much as confinement........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by