Adding chicks to a brooder?

JenniferC

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Hiya!

Newbie here, just starting a backyard flock. It's a long story, but it looks as though I will be getting 2 rounds of chicks, and I am wondering, can you add chicks to a brooder when the first round are 2 weeks old? Will the first round of chicks attack the later ones? Or are they still too young to be aggressive? Is there something special I should do here?

Thanks!

Jennifer

I'd be worried two week olds would be pecking on day olds...my opinion....I've never added chicks together that young for that reason...maybe someone else has...

Hi Jen-

I am working on my third round of chicks. The first two batches were two weeks apart. I just sat with them for a while because as the 1 day olds were trying to fall over and snooze the two weekers kept clobbering them.
After about a half an hour they all just calmed down. and they were fine together........
Third batch 5 weeks apart. They were very curious about the new chicks. Looked but didn't really bother them, But I wound up seperating them because at that point the 6 week olds were too heavy and as they like to make it their practice to walk right over one another, I didn't want to chance a leg injury on a young chick.

So I'd say if you feel they will be in harms way.....wait a bit and keep-um seperate. Hope the story helps.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new here, but I have 12 two-week old chicks, and last night I added 8 brand new babies! The older chicks came right over to see the new ones! They started running around and bumping into the little ones. Soon they all calmed down and I even saw one of the bigger ones snuggle up next to the little one...too cute. I think you would be better off to add new ones now than to wait until they get bigger. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom