Adding chicks to a solo hen- a few questions

If she's charging, keep things slow and don't mingle until she starts behaving more positively. You can try offering treats across the cage barrier so they can 'share a meal' without being in danger. I'd keep to a bit of integration time each day, but probably wait a week or so before actually trying them together, and then, you may need to hold onto your older girl and introduce them one at a time to be ready to hold her back if she tries to strike. Any big displays of aggression, go back to see but don't touch. - some integrations take time and you have to go by their attitude. It sounds like this nay end up being a slower one.

If she is still causing issues when they're getting ready to go outside, you can reverse things and pen your oldest and give them free access to the run. This will allow them to get to know the layout and where they can flee to if she tries to run them off.

Even once she accepts them in the run, she may still chase them out if the coop at bedtime, so watch for this as you may need to step in to ensure no one is left out in the cold.
“Charging” might have been an exaggeration. She’s more taking a few quick steps towards them and they run away. But they are sharing a feeder…
Any additional thoughts considering these observations? Thank you!

Thanks. Im receiving conflicting advice (don’t introduce them separately; if there isn’t any major aggression allow them to stay together since she’s otherwise alone, etc).
She charged a couple of times, did not make contact as they ran away, and have shared from the same feeder within 30 minutes. Mostly disinterested tho.
I put her back outside as I’m headed back into work calls:(
But need to bring her in for the cold snap (-7F), ideally they share a space and can sleep separately, otherwise will need to create another space for her and locate another head source.
You're going to get differing advice because we all handle integration differently.

Chasing the youngsters away from food wouldn't surprise nor concern me. Didn't catch if you have more than one food bowl out for them when they're all together, but having 2 or more feeders is advisable to reduce food guarding issues.

I would work on getting the chicks weaned off heat so when temperatures are a little more improved/stable, they can go out for see but no touch outside. But, if you have them all in the garage some of the time/all of the time right now, no reason you can't begin that process inside as you've already done.

I have two 5 week olds (Easter egger and welsummer) that I am prepping to transition to share a run/coop with a 10 month old silkie (last one standing, she’s been on her own for 2 months).
Questions (re: food & behavior):
1. How do I keep the chicks eating the starter grower feed and silkie eating the layer or should I just put both out and let them eat whatever they choose?
2. I’ve read up on the “see no touch”/general practices for integrating them. Being new to chickens, any special considerations with the dynamics of a *single* hen and *two* chicks? When the barrier is removed,
Id like to better understand/anticipate any pecking/bullying behaviors (in general and considering the dynamics). What might I see exactly? Ok behavior versus something to “break up” (I’ve read let them do their thing unless there is blood. What might this look like? … puffing of chest, chasing, pecking, all out wrestling match/flapping disaster looking like they might kill each other (and to be ok with it?). When does it become concerning ?

When they “meet” for the first time (without separation) should I do one at a time so the chicks don’t gang up on her ? (Collectively they are bigger than her), or just let the three of them work or out?

trying not to break something up prematurely resulting from my own panic😆

Grateful for any redirection to other posts/ blogs as well.
Thank you!
You're going to get differing advice because we all handle integration differently.

Chasing the youngsters away from food wouldn't surprise nor concern me. Didn't catch if you have more than one food bowl out for them when they're all together, but having 2 or more feeders is advisable to reduce food guarding issues.

I would work on getting the chicks weaned off heat so when temperatures are a little more improved/stable, they can go out for see but no touch outside. But, if you have them all in the garage some of the time/all of the time right now, no reason you can't begin that process inside as you've already done.
Thank you! She doesn’t appear to be food guarding at all, they are sharing the same little feeder. Just the occasional “get away from me” puff up/quick steps towards them and they run away; she isnt chasing them tho.
It’s going to be *really* cold tomorrow and dumping snow is hate to leave her outside by herself. I’ll be working and would love to leave them in the same area in the garage (in the ohoto) but not if I’m going to come back to dead chicks or an injured hen…so can set up another area for her while I’m not able to supervise during the day if this is best (?)🙏🏻

It’s going to be *really* cold tomorrow and dumping snow is hate to leave her outside by herself. I’ll be working and would love to leave them in the same area in the garage (in the ohoto) but not if I’m going to come back to dead chicks or an injured hen…so can set up another area for her while I’m not able to supervise during the day if this is best (?)🙏🏻
A separate set up in sight of the chicks would probably be best. I would not leave them unsupervised yet, unless the chicks have a chick-only accessible area they can escape to if needed.

Agreed with rosemarythyme here, make sure you're there while they're mingling until you feel confident no one will get hurt, but after your clarification that behavior doesn't sound too bad.

When I say charging, I'm meaning them going for murder... A quick chase that ends quickly is more a posturing thing. I have one that chases, but never strikes and one that strikes, but never chases. I really only have to worry if the latter corners a new bird. My chaser can give them a run, but as long as they have somewhere to break eye contact that doesn't leave them cornered, they're fine.

Back
Top Bottom