1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding chicks to brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vr1967, Mar 22, 2016.

1. vr1967

vr1967 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Liberty, MS
    I picked up some PR chicks Thursday and will be picking up some BO chicks this Thursday, so they will be a week difference in them.
    I built my brooder with a divider, and was wondering how long I need to keep the chicks separated? I was thinking of using the mesh divider so they can see and get used to each other, but for how long? A week?
    I did a search, but all I found had big age differences.
    Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    I have recently done a staggered hatch and brooded three lots of chicks together, three weeks between oldest and youngest. I didn't put up a seperator, I just watched for a little while after mixing them. I had no trouble, not saying you won't have any trouble but try just mixing them first, you can always seperate them.

3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If it's just a week difference in age, you probably won't need a divider. But it can't hurt to have it in place for a few days until they all become acquainted, then remove it so they can all huddle together. That establishes their "unit" or the social bond they will have for the rest of their lives.

Watching their behavior will indicate if you need the barrier any longer than just a short time.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I wouldn't separate them at all. A week is hardly any difference.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    x2 I've even had chicks with 2 weeks difference in ages (first year raising them) so now a week between ages in the brooder here isn't uncommon at all. I've never had a problem.

6. vr1967

vr1967 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Liberty, MS
    Ok got the BO pullets this morning and after an hour watching them, there are NO problems.

The Buffs are way more active than the PR chicks were. I guess seeing the older chicks daily, I didn't realize how big they have grown.

May need to find me a Roo, as the Co Op only has pullets (but maybe I'll get lucky and have a Roo or two by mistake)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by