Adding chicks to brooder

vr1967

Chirping
Mar 12, 2016
Liberty, MS
I picked up some PR chicks Thursday and will be picking up some BO chicks this Thursday, so they will be a week difference in them.
I built my brooder with a divider, and was wondering how long I need to keep the chicks separated? I was thinking of using the mesh divider so they can see and get used to each other, but for how long? A week?
I did a search, but all I found had big age differences.
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
I have recently done a staggered hatch and brooded three lots of chicks together, three weeks between oldest and youngest. I didn't put up a seperator, I just watched for a little while after mixing them. I had no trouble, not saying you won't have any trouble but try just mixing them first, you can always seperate them.

If it's just a week difference in age, you probably won't need a divider. But it can't hurt to have it in place for a few days until they all become acquainted, then remove it so they can all huddle together. That establishes their "unit" or the social bond they will have for the rest of their lives.

Watching their behavior will indicate if you need the barrier any longer than just a short time.

x2 I've even had chicks with 2 weeks difference in ages (first year raising them) so now a week between ages in the brooder here isn't uncommon at all. I've never had a problem.

Ok got the BO pullets this morning and after an hour watching them, there are NO problems.

The Buffs are way more active than the PR chicks were. I guess seeing the older chicks daily, I didn't realize how big they have grown.

May need to find me a Roo, as the Co Op only has pullets (but maybe I'll get lucky and have a Roo or two by mistake)

Back
Top Bottom