Adding chicks to flock

vigirlstef

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Hello!

At what age is it typically okay to add new chicks to an existing flock? We got our first ladies last spring and have now purchased 6 more. They are currently 7 days old. I know that it will be another 6-7 weeks before they go outside, but at what age/size do you add your girls with the ladies?

Thanks!

8 weeks is the best age, I plan on putting a divider for a few days so they can see each other and then let them meet. I already added some branches so the babies can hid or get a break if needed, I may even remove the rooster for a bit since he can at times be a bully. Mine will be ready for the big move next week. Good luck.;)

Ok, I was thinking they needed to be older... glad that is not the case! I am also planning on putting them in the run (inside a cage) during the day starting at about 6-7 weeks so they can see each other and get familiar before being left together. Sound like a good plan?

That is what I plan on doing, I also seen some utube videos where the chicks were added to the flock at night, that's another possibility. I haven't ever had issues integrating chickens so hopefully things will go smoothly this time too.

Actually adding them as juvies is much less stressful to everyone then trying to blend new adults. A few things we've found helpful are:

1. Put the new additions in a small circle of fence wire within the pen for a couple of days to ease transition.
2. In flocks with large/heavy roos be sure to protect young pullets from being injured as they near breeding age. I use the same fence circle to keep roos off.
3. Put everyone on grower rations as layer is not good for the juvies and provide a separate source of calcium for the layers.

Back
Top Bottom