Adding chicks to my existing flock, is it too early?!?

Thank you for sharing...Yes, they have a mind of their own don't they. I think I have to have a reality check on my attachment with them. Some days I'm a nervous wreck with worry. I'm a new chicken mom.
Sooooo, She tried once and failed (because she couldn't fly) last night, her sister was making such a fuss she gave up and went in to roost with her. They are in a little run doing to see but don't touch method. I read this breed will fly over a 6 foot fence. She will always have to have her wing clipped. Dogs on both sides of me.
We clip at this age and then again after molt when they get flight feathers again. After that, we usually don't have to. By the time they next get flight feathers, their bodies are much heavier, and they seem to have forgotten that they could fly. They have become yard birds. Very rarely do we have to trim again. However, this may not be true of bantams or game birds, they seem to be much closer to their feral natures, lol! Good luck and enjoy your feathered friends!

I suggest sitting in the coop with the new chicks and taking them in with you when you leave, if the other chickens are aggressive I would take them out of the coop. my rooster was very aggressive to my other younger rooster and hurt him, I had to take him and a hen out of the pen and he is healing up nicely :)

Back
Top Bottom