Adding dogs - already have dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jjaazzy, Mar 26, 2015.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Need help from someone with with a lot of dog psychology experience.

I have a male and female boarder collie that are around 8-9 years old. I need to rescue a mom sharpei and her little puppy. Puppy is about 10 weeks old and not really nursing. These dogs were abandoned and we have been feeding them at another location. We have just gained the trust of the mother and she is getting very comfortable around us but this has taken a couple of weeks.

What is the safest way to introduce them to my two dogs. I am concerned about the mother being over protective with the puppy.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Right now, I would keep new dogs in garage or shed, totally separate from yours.First, you have no idea what the new mother has been through. Second, you have no idea about their health. Third, the mother needs to feel safe as possible, other dogs now, are potential or perceived threats to her and pup. Pup needs serious nursing assistance, by mom as she gets fed better but also pup may need milk replacer from you. They both need the vet as soon as possible, best if done even before they go to your house. Otherwise, you may end up with 4 sick dogs. Let the separated dogs hear and smell each other but no see, no touch until new mom is healthy and pup is healthy and more independent. All dogs should be leashed and controlled when meeting. Depending on what happens then, you;ll know how to proceed. I'm sure you know how to read your dogs but you need time to learn about the new mom. You can achieve that by giving her your undivided attention with out your dogs interfering. It's so great that you want to do this rescue! I hope it goes positively and you save two lives. This is just my two cents, an outline of what I would do. I hope it helps. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    [​IMG] i agree

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    TY [​IMG]

5. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Hi guys thank you for your offer to help. I didn't have a garage that was empty enough to keep them in and the fact that the puppy was not getting any younger I wanted to get her in the house and have her start spending quality time with everyone. I had the dogs meet in front of the house outside (did that before and it seemed to work with current dogs when they were puppies) I was very happy with how it all went. The mother would not cross the threshold of the front door so we had to bring her around the back of the house and she entered that way on her own. These rescued dogs are amazing. They have not messed in the house, when we bring them out they do their business even the puppy. We gave them a bath that night as they stunk... The only issue we really have is our new property is not fenced and she is hard to call back .... Hopefull fencing will be done in a week or so. So I just wanted to finish this story, so often you read these threads and you never get to hear the ending.....your like what happened did it live? So thanks guys!

6. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    That's great that is went good! haha, i have the same problem...we just recently moved to 2 acres and are fencing it off, but a couple of the dogs are quite stubborn and are not good at coming when called...still working on that :)

7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    @jjaazzy Great to hear a happy ending! Thanks for the update!
    JPB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by