Adding duck enclosure to chicken coop

zoereef1221

Songster
8 Years
Jan 28, 2016
North Carolina
Hey everyone! Needing some insight on adding a duck enclosure to an existing chicken coop. We will have 2-3 runner ducks in here. All chickens and ducks freely free range during the day so this would just be for nighttime. We have an automatic door. So far this rough estimate is about 4.5’ x 4.5”. Top will Hinge for cleaning and egg collection if they are female. Was thinking to leave the rectangular section circled in green as ventilation? But I realize that is the poop catch area for the chickens. Or I could do some side windows and close that area off. Any suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• 50B1F369-F8E7-451A-98C4-8C36C887E36B.jpeg
    50B1F369-F8E7-451A-98C4-8C36C887E36B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • FF95240E-FF84-4BAA-B40D-A0F6379B267B.jpeg
    FF95240E-FF84-4BAA-B40D-A0F6379B267B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 8DE46290-D1D5-4A7B-A3F2-6C2A7914FE37.jpeg
    8DE46290-D1D5-4A7B-A3F2-6C2A7914FE37.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
My ducks are in with the chickens, as the chickens roost, the ducks sleep in their own corner and it works well. I've kept the two together for many years. Ventilation is key as ducks are wet breathers and if you live in a cold winter area, condensation leads to frost bite.
Your plan looks great.
Ducks like to be in a box or closed area at night, I have found they always go in the corners. Perhaps just turn the area under your nesting boxes into the duck house? Experiment by closing it with some cardboard or removable walling and see if they like it? Might save you a lot of work.

My ducks are in with the chickens, as the chickens roost, the ducks sleep in their own corner and it works well. I've kept the two together for many years. Ventilation is key as ducks are wet breathers and if you live in a cold winter area, condensation leads to frost bite.
Your plan looks great.
Ducks like to be in a box or closed area at night, I have found they always go in the corners. Perhaps just turn the area under your nesting boxes into the duck house? Experiment by closing it with some cardboard or removable walling and see if they like it? Might save you a lot of work.
Thanks! Ok so if I decide to go ahead with my plan anyway- would it be ok to leave that strip near the poop board as ventilation? Is that enough or should I add a triangle window on each side? With hardware cloth of course.

Give them as much ventilation as you can. Windows on the south and east side will keep the wind from blowing in. You could also make shutters or something similar if you needed to close them from the elements. Ventilation is very important for the health of the chickens and ducks. I have reg old house windows in my coops and keep the top part open enough in winter so moisture gets out.

Back
Top Bottom