1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Adding fan/egg turner to the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cheraboo, Mar 18, 2009.

1. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    So we attended our county 4H meeting last night and I let Jacob talk me into taking home some eggs one of the poultry superintendants brought. They're all set in the incubator. DH didn't pick up a turner or a fan with the incubator and I really would like to add them. Is it ok to add them now that the eggs are already in there? This is our first time with this so any advice/suggestions are appreciated. I've read some of the guides in the stickies but didn't find anything about this.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im new so I cant really say but I am shure someone else will know. good luck

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    adding the turner is a simple step, just take the eggs out put the turner in and add the eggs. The temp will need to be adjusted again at the top of the eggs. Adding a fan is more of an issue. The lid will need to be off for a time while the fan is installed. Probably it is best to wait till these eggs are finished incubating before you add the fan.

4. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Cool! Thanks Cindy. We're first timers so I'm kind of nervous.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Oh just remmber anytime you add something to the bator or open it for more then a min or so it will lose temp , you dont have to adjust it to get it back up just wait for it to go up on its own , unless it takes a long long time. I have a still air little giant , I have learnd once its at temp , NO touchy [​IMG]

6. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Good advice! Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by