Adding female ducks

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I have two drakes and two female ducks together , everyone’s saying I need a lot more females or get rid of a male . I don’t want to get rid of any so I have to add . If I get two female of age ducks , can I just add them in? My males will likely just want to mate but my females are one year old Rouens , will they attack the new ducks?

It’s always best to set up a meet an no touch pen for a couple days to a week and let everyone get acquainted. Then introduce the females first and then the drakes. That way the females get to work out any dominance problems before the drakes get started. What breed are you introducing?

I've added females with no problem, although each drakes personality and your set up plays a huge role, for instance ducks penned in a small area are going to be more inclined to fight each other then ducks that are free range environment. There is a fool proof method of integrating more females, separate the males and females with wire so they can see and hear each other but not be able to touch one and other, after a few days/week you can let them hang out with each other, if they fight continuing doing the method if they don't they can be let out to play with each other just make sire to keep a keen eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom