Adding Guinea Fowl?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by DisasterGuy, May 15, 2016.

1. DisasterGuy

DisasterGuy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    Eastern Shore of MD
    I live in a small town where there have been free ranging Guinea Fowl for as long as anyone can remember. In fact, the largest flock of about 10-15 it is believed aren't owned by anyone and are basically wild by several generations. They never come within a block or so of out property however. There is another lone guinea that tends to visit out property once or twice per day. It belonged to someone a few properties from us that is now in a nursing home so it is also wild now for all practical purposes.

As we are getting insect damage to some of our crops on our small plot, I am toying with what benefit we could get by adding some more. I don't let the chickens out of their run and wouldn't want to combine them into the chicken coop or run. My thought was to add 6 or so with their own shelter but I want them to free range while sticking mostly to our 1 acre property. My fear is that they would end up joining the wild flock to never be seen again. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I don't think anyone can say for sure. If you keep them locked up long enough you will have a better chance of them hanging around, since they know they will get a guaranteed meal and shelter from bad weather and predators.

3. gguineasfamily

gguineasfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Hatch them from eggs and tame them with treats such as millet, mealworms and grapes, they will stick around through they may wander a lot if your yard is only 1 acre. But even if they do end up joining the big flock they will probably bring the others to your yard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by