Adding Hatchery Laying Pullets To My Existing Flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WoofMeowCluck, Aug 12, 2010.

1. WoofMeowCluck

WoofMeowCluck Dark Speckled Egg Lover

Mar 9, 2010
    Quite a while ago I ordered - 6 Red Stars - from Meyer Hatchery to add to my existing 5 month old flock from. I have mostly EE'ers and wanted more brown eggs. My EE's were purchased from MEYER as day old chicks.

I forgot about the purchase of the 6 Red Stars until Meyer called to remind me, they will be ready for pick up this Saturday.

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, buying laying pullets from MEYER Hatchery, located in Ohio?

I know I must keep them away from my other girls for at least 30 days and practice good bio security.

If this is a really bad idea I have no problem ditching the order and going without the Red Stars. I have put so much time and effort into the Girls I have now I want to make sure this can be done SAFELY or forget it! My Girls don't know they're chickens, they think they're the Welcoming Committee when friends visit, they follow me constantly and are always in the middle of whatever work I'm doing outside. They have a Pred Proof Run & Coop, and a very large fenced in area to free range. All are very Healthy, I'm a bit of a clean freak, waterers are cleaned and refilled twice daily as is their feeder, coop cleaned out and refilled with fresh shavings weekly. They are so social and will peck the dogs to move them away so they can sit on my lap or feet. (Very well behaved & trained dogs).

Good idea or bad to get the laying pullets from Meyer?

THANK YOU!!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's good to keep everything clean. I've always ordered from Meyer Hatchery, small order program with different generations mixed/matched breeds as well, and never ever had any issues. I have hens ranging from 1 year old to 5 years old originally from them. When the pullets were of age to be introduced to the others (I raised them in cages in the garage). I slipped them into the hen house at night with no problems. Raising the chicks in the garage was automatic seperation from the others over 3 or 4 month time period. Hope this helps. Edited...I only ordered day old chicks.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have purchased from this company. The birds look great and I had no trouble. You should be able to mix those new with the pre-existing flock with no trouble. Go ahead and get them.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You can order full grown pullets? How handy. How much do they cost?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The pullets are 17 weeks old and cost $6.90 each. The shipping is cost prohibitive for me. You can go to meyerhatchery.com and check it out.

6. njgarlicgrower

njgarlicgrower Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Blairstown, NJ
    Just received my first order from Meyer Hatchery yesterday. No DOA's, all healthy, good service. Would order from them again.

7. WoofMeowCluck

Mar 9, 2010
    Thank you! I will keep them in the garage and away from the others for 30 days, at least.

I think they were $6.90 each. Since I'm a couple hours from Meyer I can pick them up, just have to bring my own carrier. Meyer offers 3 breeds of 17 week old pullets, red, black and I think.. leghorns? Would have to look again. I think they only have that offer a couple times a year too.

When ordering my day old chicks I was set on all EE's and 2 BO's, wish I had ordered a better variety and had gotten some marans, Jersey Giants, and red stars then. Oh well. I love the Girls I have now! Glad to know this will work as long as I'm very careful.

Thanks again!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Woof, If I had to do it all over again, I'd only order Black Stars and Barred Rocks. That's my personal preference after having different breeds over the past 5 years.

9. WoofMeowCluck

Mar 9, 2010
    Quote:Can I ask why? Do they lay more eggs? Good temperament? Health?

Annie

10. WoofMeowCluck

Mar 9, 2010
    Quote:Was just sent an e-mail from Meyer - my correct order is 4 Golden Buffs and 2 Black Star

I thought they were red stars, but aren't they about the same? Dumb question, I know...

Annie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by