each time winter starts to roll in I think about making a cinder block heater... I don't expect it to heat the whole coop so much as give the chickens a warm spot to huddle on the days we have ground blizzards and they refuse to go outside...

1ec5ec92d1f7ef5c092fff5ece8704ce.jpg
Great idea!

each time winter starts to roll in I think about making a cinder block heater... I don't expect it to heat the whole coop so much as give the chickens a warm spot to huddle on the days we have ground blizzards and they refuse to go outside...

1ec5ec92d1f7ef5c092fff5ece8704ce.jpg
That's a great idea too! I'm showing that one to DH!!! :ya

That's a great idea too! I'm showing that one to DH!!! :ya

I think part of the key is to have a concrete panel on the bottom too, you just carve out a channel for the electric cord to run through. No feathers, dust, bedding, water can get in it and create a fire hazard, and a bird can't knock it over.

If you don't heat the coop, is it vital to line the coop with straw? Also if you decide to not heat the coop will the chickens still lay eggs? I live in Montana and it gets really cold here...
I don't think it's necessary to line the coop with straw but since I built my coop out of pallets the recessed areas on the inside make it very easy to do so. I have a lot of ventilation in the coop and it stays very dry year round so I didn't have any issues with the straw retaining moisture from the chickens and getting damp. I didn't add supplemental lighting last winter so they laid but not every day. The biggest thing I found was the importance of checking for eggs often to be sure they didn't freeze, especially when it was really cold. The girls did not lay at all for 3 or 4 days during our spell of -28 (actual temp).

I don't think it's necessary to line the coop with straw but since I built my coop out of pallets the recessed areas on the inside make it very easy to do so. I have a lot of ventilation in the coop and it stays very dry year round so I didn't have any issues with the straw retaining moisture from the chickens and getting damp. I didn't add supplemental lighting last winter so they laid but not every day. The biggest thing I found was the importance of checking for eggs often to be sure they didn't freeze, especially when it was really cold. The girls did not lay at all for 3 or 4 days during our spell of -28 (actual temp).
This is SO SO helpful!!! Thank you so much for this information and we will use it as we figure out our winter strategy. THANK YOU!!!!

If you don't heat the coop, is it vital to line the coop with straw? Also if you decide to not heat the coop will the chickens still lay eggs? I live in Montana and it gets really cold here...
I live in Kalispell. I do not use straw in the coop. I do use a nice layer of pine shavings with some hay and leaves mixed in.

As for egg laying, many first year pullets will lay through the winter. The winter I had only 12 pullets I got 8 to 10 eggs a day. The second winter they go through molt and normally stop laying for a time. By the end of February mine are usually laying again. As has been said, laying has more to do with hours of daylight than cold.

I have an 8 by 6 foot coop with 10 square feet of vent area that is never closed. There is no heat or insulation in the coop. The chickens must be happy as they keep laying and spend their days out in the run no matter how cold it is. It normally gets down to -22 around this area.

What will be important is for you to figure out a way to keep thawed water out with your chickens. There are several ways that work quite well, and there have been threads recently discussing those methods.

Back
Top Bottom