Adding hens to a flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FarmGirlKate, Feb 5, 2013.

1. FarmGirlKate

FarmGirlKate New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    The South
    Hi there, I'm interested in adding another hen to my flock of two. Do I need to be concerned about the size of the breed of the new hen? My two current hens are a Buff Orpington and a Silver Laced Wyandotte, so they are fairly large. Do I need to get one that is about the same size? I had originally wanted to get an Apenzeller Spitzhauben or a Cream Legbar. But I am concerned that they might be too small and get beat up on with the other two larger (and older) hens.

Thanks!!!

-FarmGirlKate
    littlefarmbigcity.wordpress.com

2. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Chickens do not seem to notice or care about breed differences - larger / smaller / different colors / etc. Sometimes a chicken with a VERY different appearance will get picked on - like a polish might get it's crest pulled at... my marans roo gets his foot feathers picked at a little.. but for the most part they seem to simply see 'chicken'.
    However there are some important things to consider before adding ANY bird to your flock. There is a link in my signature line that will take you to an excellent article (by Speckledhen, I think). It's worth a read.

Good luck with your new birds.

Debbie

3. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Buff orpingtons can be REALLY nasty with new hens, i think the Cream Legbar will be fine, i kept them together and the cream legbar was the boss of all the orpingtons. Mebys you should get two Cream Legbars or something the same size as a Cream Legbar :)

4. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I have all different size chickens. They all get picked on when there first introduced. LOL. A few months ago I got a pretty big RIR roo. My avatar. Hell all the hen when right for him. Looked like roos fighting roos. [​IMG] Those girls aren't afraid of anything. They still buckup at him sometimes if there food they want. He's not to bright sometimes.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by