Adding insult to injury

jenjscott

Mosquito Beach Poultry
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Southeast Arkansas
I am just sick. As if the flooding weren't enough, today I came home and discovered that the air unit thermostat failed to kick on and I lost over 50 chicks, ducks, and quail in my brooder trailer, mostly chickens. It was 7 pm and the trailer was still 107. No telling how hot it was in the heat of the day. Most of my Urch Hollands and and half of the Urch Buckeyes, my own Hollands, Buckeyes, Polish, sex links, Bob Whites, OEGB.

I would appreciate any suggestions for backup. I am assuming this was from chick dust in the thermostat. Would an older model thermostat be better than the digital? I am thinking about buying a small window unit and have it set 5 degrees above the main unit, maybe they wouldn't both fail at the same time.

Any other suggestions?

Gosh, that's heartbreaking, so sorry. You've had enough to deal with lately.

Can't help with the air conditioning ? (Seattle you know), but your plan sounds good to me.

Imp- hopefully your bad luck is used up for a while.

sad.png
That's horrible! So sorry you went through that!

I don't have answer to your question but wanted to chime in on the "sorry".. I am losing a chick here and a chick there due to the heat.. I wouldn't know what to do losing that many at once.

Thinking of you and sending some positive vibes your way.

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom