Adding LF breeds with bantams?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Fairy Godmartyr, Dec 29, 2010.

1. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    I currently have 12 chickens--9 standard and 3 bantams. They were all hatched and raised together from day one, and they do just fine together. I'd like to add some more (maybe 5 or 6) chickens this spring (will raise from day old chicks again) and plan on getting all standard breeds this time--possibly wyandottes, bcm's, australorps, sussex, or brahmas.

I'm curious how the new chickens will do with my silkies, though. Obviously, I'm going to have to wait until the new ones are big enough to introduce them to the rest of the flock, but I'm worried by then that they might be big enough to effectively pick on my silkies. Or will my other chickens step in and prevent that from happening? [​IMG] My silkies have NEVER been picked on by my other birds--actually, I've watched them come up from behind and peck a big chicken in the butt to send it scurrying. [​IMG]

Have any of you ever done this? How did it go?

2. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I think if you get hens they will get along fine the silkies. But if you get any LF roos, they could seriously hurt the silkies.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I'm sure they'll be fine. I have Standard and Bantam chickens in together - they're just fine together.

4. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Quote:They would definitely have to be hens. I already rehomed an EE roo because I didn't want him trying to mate with my silkie hen and he was also starting to act aggressive towards one of the silkie roos (2 of my three silkies are roos--amazingly, they are totally fine with each other so far). Really, I guess it is only the one chicken I'm worried about since I don't see where new pullets would have an issue with the roos. I just don't want my silkie hen being picked on, and I figured the new pullets would probably need to be bigger than the silkie before being introduced so the LF hens don't bully them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by