Adding light for egg production

Barbara Drury

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2020
In one week, all of my hens just quit laying. While I expected the older now molting girls to stop, the younger ones just a couple of months into production surprised me.
I am new to this so I could really use some advice. My chickens are free range until they come in at night which is about 4 pm now and I’m wondering if putting a light in for 14 hours would be a help to increase egg production? Which hours of the day should this cover? They are outside on their own about 7 am every morning. Thanks so much for your help!!!

Look for more information, but here's what I've read (I don't use supplemental light). Maybe someone with more knowledge will also comment.

Add the light in the morning, so that they still go to bed with normal daylight. That way, they aren't out and about, and have the lights suddenly go out. Also, don't start out by adding all the light needed to equal 14 hours at once; add it slowly. The light needs to be "bright enough to read by."

If you have roosters/cockerels, they may start crowing when the lights come on, even if it's 4am. They also need food and water whenever they have light.

My 9 month old pullets stopped laying mid-November and started a partial molt. They actually stopped laying before the molt became obvious, making me wonder what was going on.

Look for more information, but here's what I've read (I don't use supplemental light). Maybe someone with more knowledge will also comment.

Add the light in the morning, so that they still go to bed with normal daylight. That way, they aren't out and about, and have the lights suddenly go out. Also, don't start out by adding all the light needed to equal 14 hours at once; add it slowly. The light needs to be "bright enough to read by."

If you have roosters/cockerels, they may start crowing when the lights come on, even if it's 4am. They also need food and water whenever they have light.

My 9 month old pullets stopped laying mid-November and started a partial molt. They actually stopped laying before the molt became obvious, making me wonder what was going on.
Thank you very much for your help!

They are outside on their own about 7 am every morning.
I'd sooner think they found another place to lay eggs.
Ditto Dat!

Might be time for some exams:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Or just lock em up.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Ditto Dat!

Might be time for some exams:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Or just lock em up.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Thank you! I’ll try this

Back
Top Bottom