Adding light to the coop for egg production

feltingfrenzy

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
Greetings,

These are my first chickens (had guineas for years before this) and I'm trying to figure out the supplemental light for the coop.

The Barred Rocks and Silver Laced Wyandottes are 19 weeks old and I just added a light to come on at 2AM. I've read several books, recommended on this forum, and searched on the forum threads, but can't quite figure out if there is an exact illumination requirement to help trigger the hens' laying.

I'm using a compact fluorescent bulb the equivalent of 75 watts in a 10'x10' coop. The bulb is mounted in a reflective brooder lamp and hangs about 6' above the floor. Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I am using about the same bulb, on @ 3:30 - 4 a.m. off after the sun comes up. This gives about 14 hours of daylight, I think it is 12 hours is whats needed

Each coop is a different size with different set-ups. The way I read it, if you can read a newspaper in there, it is bright enough. With my eyes, even with glasses, mine might need to be brighter than yours but at least that's a general guideline.

Back
Top Bottom