Adding more chicks/pullets to my flock

GypsyGen

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 24, 2015
Pacifica
Hello everyone! I’m in much need of advice from experienced chicken people. I currently have 6 chickens 10/12 weeks old. 2 have turned out to be roosters. I will be rehoming them as I’m not allowed roosters where I live. My dilemma is …… do I buy 2 new day old chicks? Or do I buy pullets around the same age?? At 6 weeks I added 2 to my original 4 my 2 new girls are not as friendly as the chicks we hatched. One of them is downright skittish. Wanting advice from the experts as I’m a first time chicken mama. Thank you in advance

I suggest adding chicks next year. There are many advantages to a multi-age flock that I'm discovering now in my 3rd year on this property.

Among others, after having chickens for a year you might find that you really LOVE a specific breed and want to focus on them.
Or try different breeds in addition to what you have. And have a rainbow basket of eggs which your son will love.

Things to consider:

Do you have room in the set up to integrate 2 new birds, regardless of their age?

If adding older birds, do you have room to properly quarantine: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/ ? Or are you ok with the risks of not quarantining?

Any reason you want to add them now, instead of next year? Reason I ask is if eggs are an important factor, you will get more steady production by spreading out the ages of your flock

Thank you! I’m so glad I came here

I'm speaking from experience.

My in-town flock a number of years ago was mixed so when I moved to this property I got a mixed flock. But then I fell in love with the Blue Australorps that I'd gotten because the Delawares I'd gone for didn't come in and it was already late in the summer for chick purchases.

They turned out to be almost exactly what I like most about chickens. Completely by accident.

Hello everyone! I’m in much need of advice from experienced chicken people. I currently have 6 chickens 10/12 weeks old. 2 have turned out to be roosters. I will be rehoming them as I’m not allowed roosters where I live. My dilemma is …… do I buy 2 new day old chicks? Or do I buy pullets around the same age?? At 6 weeks I added 2 to my original 4 my 2 new girls are not as friendly as the chicks we hatched. One of them is downright skittish. Wanting advice from the experts as I’m a first time chicken mama. Thank you in advance
Why are you adding? Four chickens is a good number.

But if you're determined to add, I'd just raise a couple of chicks and integrate them when they are old enough.

This is Georgina. My son is 6. She’s 11 weeks old

Attachments

• 0BBDC789-8A37-4234-92B3-7B29C241FB24.jpeg
    0BBDC789-8A37-4234-92B3-7B29C241FB24.jpeg
    650.3 KB · Views: 7
Things to consider:

Do you have room in the set up to integrate 2 new birds, regardless of their age?

If adding older birds, do you have room to properly quarantine: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/ ? Or are you ok with the risks of not quarantining?

Any reason you want to add them now, instead of next year? Reason I ask is if eggs are an important factor, you will get more steady production by spreading out the ages of your flock
This is exactly why I came here. I was wondering if I should wait until next year. And yes I have the space for up to 12. But want to leave it at 6 so they’ve got more room in the run. I don’t necessarily have a time frame to add them. I worry with coming into the cold months about chicks. I don’t want them living in my house for forever.
Things to consider:

Any reason you want to add them now, instead of next year? Reason I ask is if eggs are an important factor, you will get more steady production by spreading out the ages of you
Things to consider:

I do have room and I already went through quarantine and integration when we added the other 2 when the lady at the feed store talked me into doing it when they were 6 weeks vs in the spring. It’s why I’m asking here and not back at the feed store 😂. To be honest I feel a little bit of I don’t want baby chicks in my house right now. I just got them out. I do like the idea of spacing them out. I do like how I’m able to handle my hatched chicks over my pullets I added when they were older. I didn’t know if like the lady at the feed store was saying it’s easier to add while they’re younger vs. when they’re older. So I wasn’t sure if I should add immediately upon re homing my roosters.

I'm speaking from experience.

My in-town flock a number of years ago was mixed so when I moved to this property I got a mixed flock. But then I fell in love with the Blue Australorps that I'd gotten because the Delawares I'd gone for didn't come in and it was already late in the summer for chick purchases.

They turned out to be almost exactly what I like most about chickens. Completely by accident.
I am wanting to get a black Australorp. I’ve currently got some Americaunas/EE, a buff Orpington, a fuzzy foot one I think might be a Brahma or Cochin mix. Oh and I’ve got a micro chicken. I love my Orpington and my EE. My anericauna is a little skittish. And I hate my fluffy footed boy. He’s such a bully. He’s going to the feed store on Monday to the rooster relocation program. My other boy is sweet. I’m sad to see him go. I said to my husband what if he never crows? Can we keep him?

Back
Top Bottom