....adding more eggs

Myst4

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
N.S., Canada
I have a question about adding eggs. I have 14 eggs(13 green,1 white) in my bator now. It can hold up to 48(I've been told). My hens that I get the green eggs from lay one every day. I want to hatch them as well. My question is, can I just put them in with the others? I know they will hatch a day later then the others,but I mark the date on the eggs and would know when they are due to hatch. If i can't do that,is there some way to save them so that I can hatch them at another date without hurting them in any way?

Carrie

Are your eggs 1 day apart or more? If it is 1 day it will be okay.

If not -

To do a staggard hatch you need to have a hatcher or second bator. When the first batch of eggs gets to day 18 you have to stop turning them and boost the humidity to 70% for eggs several days. The eggs incubating several days behind that humidity it too high. It could cause developmental issues.

Unless you have 2 bators I would say don't do any staggard hatches.

Like I said I have 14 eggs in the bator now.I have 2 EE hens that lay every day.I am only hatching their eggs(except for 1 white one). I will have another 2 green eggs today, and will put them in the bator. Is there any way to save the furture eggs that they lay? I only have 1 bator.

Thanks, Carrie

You could wait until your hatch is 7 days due then start collecting eggs. Those eggs need to be in a cool place and turned once or twice a day to keep the embryo from sticking to the membrane and shell. Any longer than 10 - 12 days and the viability of the embryo is in question. When your curent hatch finishes make sure you sterilize and disinfect your bator before you set the next hatch.

I have some shipped eggs that by the auction dates I figured I'd get about the same time, NOT
smile.png

I felt I could not let the first ones sit around till Monday so I put them in late Sat. I finally got the other ones today and they'll go in tonight.

I am trying the egg carton method I figure it won't be as messy and when first ones are done hatching I can quickly get out most of mess and let the other one hatch (note optimism re shipped eggs).

Oh of course a few of my eggs are in there (and six under a broody).

Although it would be a miracle to end up with 30 + chickes
smile.png

Beth

Well, I wish you all the luck with your eggs. I was planning to stop adding eggs today, one day apart they will be. I thought of maybe adding some tomorrow.....but not too sure about it. I just think of all those lil' chickies that won't have a chance at life because of me not being able to put them in the bator .
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom