1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

....adding more eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have a question about adding eggs. I have 14 eggs(13 green,1 white) in my bator now. It can hold up to 48(I've been told). My hens that I get the green eggs from lay one every day. I want to hatch them as well. My question is, can I just put them in with the others? I know they will hatch a day later then the others,but I mark the date on the eggs and would know when they are due to hatch. If i can't do that,is there some way to save them so that I can hatch them at another date without hurting them in any way?

Carrie

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are your eggs 1 day apart or more? If it is 1 day it will be okay.

If not -

To do a staggard hatch you need to have a hatcher or second bator. When the first batch of eggs gets to day 18 you have to stop turning them and boost the humidity to 70% for eggs several days. The eggs incubating several days behind that humidity it too high. It could cause developmental issues.

Unless you have 2 bators I would say don't do any staggard hatches.

3. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Like I said I have 14 eggs in the bator now.I have 2 EE hens that lay every day.I am only hatching their eggs(except for 1 white one). I will have another 2 green eggs today, and will put them in the bator. Is there any way to save the furture eggs that they lay? I only have 1 bator.

Thanks, Carrie

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You could wait until your hatch is 7 days due then start collecting eggs. Those eggs need to be in a cool place and turned once or twice a day to keep the embryo from sticking to the membrane and shell. Any longer than 10 - 12 days and the viability of the embryo is in question. When your curent hatch finishes make sure you sterilize and disinfect your bator before you set the next hatch.

5. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Thanks for your help

6. Green Hill Farm

Green Hill Farm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    I have some shipped eggs that by the auction dates I figured I'd get about the same time, NOT [​IMG].

I felt I could not let the first ones sit around till Monday so I put them in late Sat. I finally got the other ones today and they'll go in tonight.

I am trying the egg carton method I figure it won't be as messy and when first ones are done hatching I can quickly get out most of mess and let the other one hatch (note optimism re shipped eggs).

Oh of course a few of my eggs are in there (and six under a broody).

Although it would be a miracle to end up with 30 + chickes [​IMG].

Beth

7. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Well, I wish you all the luck with your eggs. I was planning to stop adding eggs today, one day apart they will be. I thought of maybe adding some tomorrow.....but not too sure about it. I just think of all those lil' chickies that won't have a chance at life because of me not being able to put them in the bator . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by