Adding new chickens to a flock

johno75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Torquay, devon
Hi all

I've got 6 chickens all different breeds and all very happy together. I'm currently incubating 6 eggs and have a separate shed to put them in till they can go alone. Whilst they are growing I'm building a new large shed and run to extend my current one. My question is.... When the chicks are at the right size should I place them all in the new shed together or just add them to my old run then move them all. I understand the pecking order and I've added to my flock before. Just want to make sure I do it the best way so I can keep the squabbling down to the minimum.
I hope this makes sense!!!! Please help if you can :)

Greetings from Kansas, johno75, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Integrating new chickens can be tricky but isn't too arduous if done correctly. If possible give the birds some time together but not actually in contact with each other - through a fence is good. If 3 or 4 days of this they will a little used to each other. That final night put the new ones into the coop at dark so they all spend the night together. Make sure it is dark in the coop - chickens won't pick at each other in the dark. At first light, open the coop and let them out so they aren't trapped together. Then just monitor - there will be pecking order squabbles as you mentioned but that is to be expected. Good luck to you!!

Back
Top Bottom