Adding new chickens to an established flock

nrsejessica

Chirping
Apr 9, 2015
Hello,
I am looking for help on how to ease the transition of adding new chickens to an existing flock. My new chickens have been living outside in a separate run attached side by side to my original hens for 2 months now. Originally there was a lot of pecking but that seems to have settled down. I free range both sets of hens together frequently and there isn't too many issues however my new chickens seem petrified of the original ones and the original ones can be mean and start fights every time a new hen happens to step foot into their coop! How do I safey intergrate them all together? The coop my new hens are in is getting crowded and I really need them all living in the big coop together safety and soon!
Thanks in advance!

For specific suggestions could you give size in feet or meters of all your coops and runs, the number of chickens in each group, and ages. How much roosting space do you have and how is it laid out? Photos could really help. Do your older ones attack the younger ones under any conditions you have seen?

In general, this sounds pretty normal. Until your pullets start laying they a will probably be afraid of the older hens and keep their distance. To me you have had a successful integration since no one is being hurt. Maybe we can help you get them all sleeping in the same building.

Ridgerunner is right, details help a great deal with advice. Number of birds in each group, age of birds, and size of the set up.

You might try flipping the birds several nights putting the old birds in the baby coop, and the young birds in the old coop. Or just pull the top 2-3 meanest birds and put them in the baby coop. Sometimes splitting the old flock, reduces the number of senior birds the young ones have to deal.

During the day, you might lock the old birds out of the coup run set up. Give them a nest outside to lay in for a day or two. This allows the babies to explore and get used to the new setup without being chased or harassed, giving them some confidence.

More details will help, but you could try a few of these.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom