adding new chickens

ericmcginn5

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
i got a new chicken about 3 days ago she is 1 month younger a little smaller and being picked on on the comb bleed a little but not much and not any more should i be worried its been 3 days. i have had chickens for 4 years but never added new chickens to a flock. is there something i can do or let it go and let nature take place. im worried about her.

In my experience I've found that introducing new chickens to the flock is a lot easier if you add four or more at once. Then the newbies can hang out together, and present more of a united front to the older chickens. Could you get a few more chickens from wherever you got the new one so there's more than one of her size? Also, when introducing any new chicken (of any age), it's best if you can keep them in a separate cage where they are safe from the existing flock but still in sight of them. That way, the old flock can get used to the presence of the new one. If she is still getting picked on, I would make her a separate space where they can all see each other but she's protected. And I would really try to get a more more chickens that are her same size....

i dont have room to add any more chickens i put him in a wire cage it is 24 by 24. i just have a few backyard hens. mom dosnt want them running around all day tho. and how long should i keep her in that cage.i have it in my big coop

Back
Top Bottom