Adding New Chicks to Older Chicks in Brooder

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jslason, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jslason

jslason Hatching

Jun 10, 2009
    Watertown CT
    Hello! I am new to "chickenhood" and have a question about adding 6 newly acquired chicks (2 days old) to a brooder that is currently housing 5 chicks that are almost 2 weeks old. Can this be done without harm to the younger chicks or do I need to use a second brooder? Thanks for your help! Judy (Watertown CT)

2. Zuesdude

Zuesdude Songster

May 6, 2009
    OH
    [​IMG] Newbie. That sounds like a good question. I'm not really the one to ask BUT I would say let the two day old get a week older so they have a better change.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I put chicks that are different ages in the same brooder without any problems. But I keep them seperate untill they are 4 to 5 days old. You can put them together and watch them for awhile just to be sure. If they are alot of size difference that can also be a problem too.

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from UT! Glad that you joined!

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

7. joedie

joedie Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I mixed mine without any problems. I had 8 chicks that were 2 weeks old, added four 2-3 day olds a week later, added 4 more the next week and finally a week later added one more but she was the same age as the last group. I watched them for awhile but they never seemed to have any problems. That was about a month ago and all are well.[​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I hope so because I have 24 in a big brooder in garage-silkies and other smaller kinds-I have 9 BO's hatching out next week-so when they get around the same size they will go in that brooder too! That or I will sneak them in With my broody BO-she's sitting on 14 eggs that are due around the same time too! Either way I hope one of those situations work or My DH will kill me if we have to build another coop!

9. frogs n chickens

frogs n chickens Chirping

May 19, 2009
    valley springs, calif.
    Don't build another coop, just put the new chicks in a cage and place the cage in the coop. That way they can get used to each other. There might still be some pecking when you put them together but they should not be trying to do each other in. Ther is alot of info on this site for introducing new chickens; if you use the search, it can give you other tried and true stategies.

10. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from PA! Good luck with your new chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: