1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding new chicks to the rest of the group

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ttbkremer, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ttbkremer

ttbkremer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    We have eggs in the incubator right now, they are due to hatch on November 23rd. How long/old do I have to wait to add them to the full grown/laying chickens. Thanks for your help

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You will have a long wait. If you put babies with a grown flock they will kill them. You had best be prepared to have a brooder and a juvie pen until they get old grown. Even then you need to be careful introducingthem to a established flock because of the dominance factor in chickens. It can get real ugly sometimes. I'm not trying to scare you but just prevent problems. I wish you lots of luck with your babies and want them to grow and thrive. I hope this helps. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

This worked for us PERFECTLY:

4 weeks in the house
    4-6 weeks inside the hen house seperated but visible to the others
    6-8 weeks cut a small hole in the seperator so they can get out but the others can't get in
    8-9 weeks shut them out of the brooder during the day and let them back in at night
    9 weeks, close them out completely

You may have to adjust the time spent on each step, depending on how your other birds act. I hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by