Adding new ducks to flock

Quackattack717

Songster
Sep 4, 2019
Gettysburg, PA
Hi there,

So I recently found out that my 2 Pekins (male & female) are actually white Muscovy ducks. I just wanted to make sure that we can still plan on adding our younger Rouen ducks to the flock once they’re old enough to live in the coop. This was our plan when they were Pekin and I wasn’t sure if them being Muscovy changed anything.

Our Rouen ducklings will be 7 weeks in the beginning of October and will be moving out to the coop sometime around there depending on their feathers and all. They’ve been spending the warm days outback in the coop locked up while the muscovies free ranged and they free range with us back here with the muscovies. The muscovies do go after them every now and then, but we just thought that was normal because they are much smaller ducks. They just run and hide behind us and the older ducks leave them be.

Will this be problem come time to move them outside? Can they all live in the same coop? And we are also getting two Welsh Harliequinn females in October although they won’t be moving outside until January-ish.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

The only problem I see with your mix is that muscovy will hog food maybe keeping others back.
Alright. We’ll keep that in mind, we’re planning on feeding everyone outside of the coop, chickens & all. Once they’re all on the same food & we built a protector from rain so the food stays dry. And right now, they don’t eat very much food. They forage all day so they each get about 1/4 cup of food and that’s it

No need to get more Muscovy I have 5 Muscovy and 2 Buff and 9 Runner ducks they all live and eat together everyday and all have been here all their lives. They have no problem understanding each other which is usually back off. But since you have 2 unless you just want more that number will be fine. They seem to be able to communicate just fine and @Daphne_loves_mealworms has found that out also.

It will take time for them all to get use to each other but taking your young ones out daily will go along way in getting that started.

I also put out multiple feeders so no one has to be pushed away.

No need to get more Muscovy I have 5 Muscovy and 2 Buff and 9 Runner ducks they all live and eat together everyday and all have been here all their lives. They have no problem understanding each other which is usually back off. But since you have 2 unless you just want more that number will be fine. They seem to be able to communicate just fine and @Daphne_loves_mealworms has found that out also.

It will take time for them all to get use to each other but taking your young ones out daily will go along way in getting that started.

I also put out multiple feeders so no one has to be pushed away.
Awesome. That is great to hear. Our female has started flying and we’re really enjoying them, and we love our other ducklings. We don’t want to get rid of any nor do we have space to get more at the moment. Thanks for giving me some peace of mind!

Back
Top Bottom