Adding new hens to my flock

Aart, what is the downside to them sleeping on top of the nests? They are not sleeping or pooping in the nests. I use the top of my nests as a dropping board under my juvenile roost.
But I do not......so..... I don't want them pooping there. ;)

I assume the OP wants the birds sleeping on a roost....
....that metal gate is not a good roost, IMO.

My broody hen always hatches in nests above the floor. When she wants, she gets all those balls of fluff down. Dropping about 3 feet with no damage or injury. Just before hatching, I give a broom out to the coop and put in fresh bedding. All my hens have created a nest on the floor, none of them where I thought would be best.
Ok I'm just scared of they fall it'll hurt them.

I've decided to add 6 more hens to my flock of 9 I currently have. I believe my flock ages are 9 to 12 months now and the new ones are about 6 months. How can I introduce them to the same coop or do they need to stay seperate? I'm still new to the chicken farm just started in June 2019.
6months, and they're

I always quarantine for 30 days to watch for illness. It is also never in the same coop or same run, but on the other side of the yard first. ( No contact with your flock at any time) . After that use the look but no touch seperation in the coop until everyone gets used to each other. Good luck! :thumbsup

I've decided to add 6 more hens to my flock of 9 I currently have. I believe my flock ages are 9 to 12 months now and the new ones are about 6 months. How can I introduce them to the same coop or do they need to stay seperate? I'm still new to the chicken farm just started in June 2019.

when we brought in more new chicks we separated them with a make shift chicken wire fence in the yard, then slowly introduced them while supervising them, did the same at night while roosting, if yours are not free range then put the "fence" in the coop:) anyway thats what we did, hope this helped:)

Back
Top Bottom